THE City of Ekurhuleni has urged residents of Isando and Tembisa to start using the Harambee bus rapid transit (BRT) system after the service was marred by ‘teething problems’ and temporarily suspended following its official launch on October 18.
A public notice issued by the City reads: “The City of Ekurhuleni, together with the Ekurhuleni taxi industry, are calling residents of Tembisa and Isando to start using the Harambee bus service again.”
The notice also said two new stops have been added on Isando Road and Diesel Street.
Mike Waters, the DA’s deputy chief whip in the National Assembly and head of Lethabong constituency, said in a statement late last year: “Despite the huge investment of more than R2-billion put into the BRT system, Phase One will only become operational in 2020.
“The original deadline was set for June 2016.
“R1 687 509 216 has already been spent on Phase One, while Phase Two to Phase Five remain unfunded,” Waters said.
“It is concerning that projects that are of such importance are being delayed. It is equally concerning that the money for the project has already been depleted.
“Will there be any accountability following the inexplicable delays and the gross over-expenditure?”
Waters said the DA is calling on the metro to explain to residents why the BRT system is behind schedule and where additional funding will come from to complete the outstanding phases.
“We want the BRT system to become fully operational in order to give people access to jobs and opportunities,” Waters said. “The residents of Ekurhuleni need safe and reliable public transport.”